WordPress is a CMS (Content management System). We can make websites in WordPress. It allow us to use readymade themes, plugins and to work on them only using menus rather than working on coding. Sometimes we also need to do some coding in WordPress to solve some issues or to add some special functionality. We will learn both in this book – menus as well as coding part in WordPress.
HISTORY OF WORDPRESS
WordPress was born out of a desire for an elegant, well-architectured personal publishing system built on PHP and MySQL and licensed under the GPL. It is the official successor of b2/cafelog. WordPress is modern software, but its roots and development go back to 2001. It is a mature and stable product.
1) WordPress’ latest version can be downloaded at https://wordpress.org/download/
2) Downloaded zip file needs a server. It could be either a live paid web server such as hostripplies.com, bluehost.com, etc. or a free localhost web server such as XAMPP. XAMPP can be downloaded at https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html
[Free online servers are also available for few days after signup such as https://in.000webhost.com/ etc. which can be searched on google and can be used for learning purpose.]
3) Once our web server is ready, we can unzip (or extract ) the downloaded WordPress file in it.
a) On live server, inside Cpanel > File Manager > public_html folder WordPress file can be extracted for usage. Live server should be pointing to a bought domain name such as https:// ziscom.today. Domain name can be bought from https://namecheap.com. WordPress extracted inside public_html folder can be run in web browser through bought and pointed domain name.
b) In case of local server, XAMPP can be started at C:\xampp \xampp-control file. WordPress downloaded zipped file can be unzipped using Winrar software. Unzipped WordPress folder need to be placed inside htdocs folder which can be found in XAMPP folder installation at path C:\xampp\htdocs. Name of folder which contains extracted WordPress becomes the local domain name. e.g. our unzipped WordPress folder renamed to WordPress, in web browser like chrome, etc. enter localhost/ WordPress to see output.
Setup done so far will not run in web browser yet. We need to set up database as well. [Remember to save all the created username, database name, password, etc. details safely for later use.]
4) Once WordPress folder extracted successfully at correct path. We need to create a database.
a) If on live server, database can be created in Cpanel > Databases > MySQL Database Wizard. First enter database name, then username and password. Password should be mixture of letters, Capital letter, numbers and alphanumeric with atleast 5 characters long. Once you created database, note these details. These details asked when we click on browser domain name as exlained above or we need to put them in wp-config.php file inside WordPress extracted folder.
b) In case of local server activate XAMPP. Go to web browser and type localhost/phpmyadmin. It opens database list infront of you. You can create a database. By default localhost database username is ‘root’ and password is empty ”. You database is made, you can put database name, database username and database password inside localhost/Wordpress installation or in wpconfig.php file insize C:\xampp\htdocs\wordpress\wp-config.php file.
5) After setting up database, when you go to web browser to start actual installation of WordPress by writing domain name or localhost/wordpress, it will ask you to enter database details, and to create new WordPress username and password. You also need to enter your email address. Keep pressing ‘Next’ button until installation completes. This installation put WordPress tables in database and make the WordPress ready to be used for us.
[All this is a very simple process. Once you install it once or twice yourself, you do not need to look at the installation process again and you can do it yourself easily. In case you have any doubt in any step, you can contact us at https://ziscom.today/contact_us/